Aural Skills: Beyond Grade 5
This class builds on the lessons in Essential Aural Skills and is designed for experienced singers, musicians and/or composers who want refine their more advanced aural skills. You will be taught listening and memorising skills up to and above the level required for Grade 8 ABRSM and Trinity for the following topics:
- Practical working knowledge of advanced theory
- Melody: copying longer melodic phrases vocally and instrumentally; singing/playing upper/lower melodies of a 2-part phrase; interval recognition including compound intervals; advanced sight singing
- Harmony: revision of cadences; detailed chord-naming; tonality including chromaticism, whole-tone, serialism; modulation (including practical work)
- Rhythm: recognising time-signatures, musical pulse; clapping back more advanced rhythms; more advanced sight clapping; group work
- Mistake spotting: melody, rhythm, dynamics, articulation, speed
- Style/historical period recognition
- Recognising character and form of music (dance, chorale, elegie, fugue etc)
- Understanding of structure within form
Who is this course for?
This course is for anyone who sings, plays and/or composes and wants to work on refining their aural skills whether for exams or personal development.
We are also offering Aural Skills: Beyond Grade 5 Refresher Days on Sunday 21 May and Sunday 15 October 2017 specifically for individuals sitting their ABRSM exams.
About the tutor
The class is taught by Shelagh Sutherland, a freelance pianist who has been teaching piano, violin, singing and Alexander Technique since 1972. She also designed and has been teaching aural at Guildhall School since 1990.
Our London Location
The Guildhall School is situated in the City of London within the Barbican Arts Centre, which houses two theatres, a concert hall, cinemas and galleries. It is also within easy reach of West End theatres, the Royal Festival Hall, the Royal National Theatre and Shakespeare's Globe on the South Bank, Sadler's Wells Theatre and Tate Modern.
Aural Skills: Beyond Grade 5 Fee: £370
Residential option 1: course fee + bed, breakfast & evening meal £760
Residential option 2: course fee + bed, & breakfast £685
Aural Skills: Beyond Grade 5 Refresher Day: £80
Monday 17 July – Saturday 22 July 2017, 11am – 4pm
Refresher Days on Sunday 21 May and Sunday 15 October
ABRSM Grade 5 instrument and theory recommended
Applicants should ensure they have sufficient English language skills to be able to cope with the demands of this course.
Special access needs
If you have any special access needs, please contact us to discuss your requirements using the contact details below.
It is recommended that students take out insurance cover, including cover for theft and the loss of fees in the event of illness or accident. For international students needing help in finding an insurance company, you might try www.students-insurance.eu.
Although this course is intended as a preparation for Music Theory Grades above 5, these exams are not included as part of the course. We will, however, provide you with an informal assessment of the level you have achieved at the end of the course, if required.
Email the Short Courses team or call 0207 382 2310 for any enquiries.
Terms and conditions
You can read our terms and conditions, including cancellation policy.
NB For registrants under the age of 18, please provide parent/guardian contacts (telephone number/email address). Under 18s registered without direct parental contacts (phone/email) will not be admitted on our courses.