Postgraduate Study in Music
The Guildhall School offers one of the world’s most innovative packages of postgraduate study. Qualifications available include:
- Guildhall Artist Programme:
- Performance (MMus, MPerf)*
- Orchestral Artistry in association with London Symphony Orchestra (pathway)
- Composition (MMus, MComp)*
- Leadership (MMus, MLead)*
- MA in Music Therapy
- MA in Opera Making & Writing
- Artist Diploma
- MPhil/DMus, MPhil/PhD
- PGCert Performance Teaching
- Advanced Certificate
*PGDip available on completion of specified modules.
The Performance Pathway offers the following Professional Specialisms:
- Strings, Wind, Brass and Percussion Players: Advanced Instrumental Studies, Chamber Music and Orchestral Artistry in association with the LSO.
- Keyboard Players: Advanced Instrumental Studies, Chamber Music and courses for Accompanists and Repetiteurs
- Singers: Vocal Studies and Opera
- Historical Performance and Jazz musicians: specific courses tailored to each area of specialist need
Composers follow a programme which includes individual lessons, classes and opportunities for live performance of their compositions and projects outside the School.
The Leadership students follow an innovative programme building on the pioneering work of the School in ensemble and creative activity.
Aspiring Music Therapists: an intensive package of clinical, theoretical and practical activity.
Opera Making & Writing
Composers and writers focus on the creation of new opera, in association with the Royal Opera House.
A highly sought-after post-Master's programme for musicians of the highest calibre who are set to embark on an international career.
MPhil/DMus or MPhil/PhD
Composers and performers follow a unique and distinctive doctoral programme exploring their own creative research by taking advantage of the School’s performing resource and well-established external partnerships.
PGCert Performance Teaching
Performance Teaching is a new programme, designed to support professional musicians, actors, theatre technicians and dancers who teach as part of their practice as performers or in undertaking a portfolio career. Find out more about this course.
Auditions also take place in New York, Hong Kong, Seoul, Shanghai and Tokyo on an annual basis (NB overseas audition venues are not available for every Music programme - for further information see the auditions page)