Get Backstage - information
Find out what Get Backstage offers, who is eligible for this free project and how to apply.
Get Backstage will take place 11-14 April 2023. Participants will join half day workshops, in-person at Guildhall School, linked to the five Production Arts programmes that we offer:
- Design Realisation
- Digital Design and Production
- Stage Management
- Theatre Technology
Participants will also visit two London venues for a backstage tour, and attend Disney's Newsies the Musical, to showcase the many careers available at the end of a Production Arts degree. The project will end with reflections on the possible pathways, guidance on building a portfolio and thinking about next steps into the world of backstage. The full schedule can be found below.
The project is free for participants, and lunch will be provided each day. Participants will be required to pay for their own travel.
- Be in year 11 or 12 (or equivalent year of college)
- Be UK-domiciled
- Attend a state school or college (we will also accept applications from those who are currently home schooled, in a Pupil Referral Unit, or who are out of the education system at present, providing they *would* be in year 11 or 12 - i.e. aged 15-17)
- Be able to travel to Guildhall School (EC2Y 8DT) daily for the project as no accommodation is available
Participants should also meet at least one of the following:
- In receipt of free school meals or a 16-19 bursary, or live in a household which receives means tested benefits or with a joint income of below £33k.
- Have a home postcode which is Quintile 1 or 2 on the POLAR4 dataset or Deciles 1-4 on the IMD dataset (check POLAR4 postcode here, check IMD postcode here)
- Be Black, Asian or ethnically diverse.
- Have experience of the UK Care system, or be estranged from their family.
- Have a declared disability.
Any applicant who does not meet the eligibility criteria cannot be offered a place on Get Backstage. If you have any queries about the eligibility please contact email@example.com.
Applications are now open for Get Backstage!
Applications will close at 5pm on Wednesday 29th March 2023.
If you have any queries about the Get Backstage, eligibility or applications, please contact the Access and Participation team on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get Backstage schedule
Below is the confirmed schedule for each day.
A full day Guildhall School doing workshops in both Technical Theatre and Design Realisation. The Technical Theatre workshop will be in our Studio Theatre and you will learn technical skills in both lighting and sound. The Design Realisation workshop will look at some of the amazing things prop-makers create for shows. You will learn life-casting techniques to create life-like limbs for theatre!
Another day at Guildhall school, this time exploring Costume and Stage Management.
During the costume workshop, you'll learn about the various roles in theatre costume and explore design creation. In the Studio Theatre, learn how Stage Managers run rehearsals, mark out spaces and cue lives shows. You will then take on stage management roles in a technical rehearsal.
The morning will be spent at Guildhall School with an introduction to the world of video mapping and processes needed to create large-scale projection shows. Covering everything from software to physically installing equipment, you'll learn new skills and gain insight into this creative output.
The afternoon will be a trip to see Disney's award-winning musical, Newsies! See some of the skills you've learnt in the week used to full effect in this high-energy musical full of stunts. And it doesn't stop when the show ends; we've arranged exclusive backstage access after the show and chance to meet some of the show's production team.
In another exclusive view into the backstage world, we'll take you on a tour of the famous Roundhouse - host to some of the greatest names in music. If you can think of them, they've probably played there! Learn about the history of the venue and how they manage events and tour the studios.
Returning to Guildhall for the final afternoon, we'll reflect on the week and look at what options are available to you in both further training and careers in Production Arts.
Find out more about Production Arts
Before you sign-up to Get Backstage, you might like to find out more about the different degree programmes available at Guildhall School of Music & Drama.