Funding a research degree

Funding a research degree

A white man with dark hair in a blue jumper gives a presentation

Please think carefully about how you will fund your research degree before making an application as financial support for advanced levels of study in the UK is limited and often very competitive.

How much will I need?

You need to consider how you will cover the fees (the current fee schedule is available here), any research expenses beyond what is provided by the School and living expenses. Many research students work alongside their studies in order to meet these costs, but please note that full-time students are required to dedicate at least 30 hours a week to their studies during term time (15 hours part-time). 

Because of the independent nature of study, it is not necessary to live in London while pursuing your research degree, but you will need to be able to come to the School at short notice. Additional work restrictions and participation requirements apply to students on Student visas.

Help with costs

Fee waivers

All successful applicants to our doctoral programme are eligible to apply for partial fee waivers. These are awarded on the basis of financial need so you will be asked to complete a form outlining your income and expenditure. When deciding on the level of waiver, academic merit and the alignment of your project with strategic priorities are also taken into consideration. Typically, a fee scholarship for a full-time home student would be £1,200 per academic year, but more substantial scholarships may be offered. The School is committed to diversifying its doctoral student population and welcomes applications for scholarship from under-represented groups.

Guildhall School Doctoral Studentships

Guildhall School occasionally offers studentships for specific areas of research. These studentships include a full fee waiver, a stipend and in some cases additional expertise and research opportunities provided by partner organisations. The two studentships offered on an ongoing basis are the Barbican-Guildhall studentship and the Doctoral Composer-in-Residence Studentship with the Royal Opera House, though these are not recruiting for the academic year 2022/23.

External studentships and funding

If you are applying for an external studentship or other forms of funding support, please let us know as soon as possible. This is because some funders require supporting documentation from the School or even that an offer for a place be made in advance of our usual deadline – we need as much notice as possible to ensure we can support your application.