- Course dates:
- Mon 17 July – Fri 21 July 2023
- Course times:
- Art form:
- 5pm, Sunday 18 June 2023
- Level of study:
- Short Courses & Summer Schools (ages 18+) | Short Courses & Summer Schools, Workshops & Saturday Centres (ages 4-18)
- Mode of study:
- Guildhall School of Music & Drama
Course Dates & Times
Monday 17 July – Friday 21 July 2023
About Vocal Summer School for Classical Singers
This five-day in-person course led by senior staff from the Vocal Studies department will enable singers aged 16–21 to experience Guildhall School’s world-leading vocal training.
With a joint focus on class teaching and extensive one-to-one tuition, you will work towards an informal presentation at the end of the course. As well as an introduction to singing in Italian and communicating text into song, the course will cover body awareness and performance skills.
Who is the course for?
Developing singers aged 16–21 who would like an insight into conservatoire training.
What can I expect?
- One-to-one tuition with members of Guildhall's Vocal Studies faculty
- Individual coaching from the Vocal Studies department
- Breathing and body awareness
- Interpretation and performance presentation
- Drama workshop
- English and Italian repertoire masterclasses
- Text into song work
- Work on two songs of your choice, one in English, the other in Italian
Do I need anything for the course?
- Two pieces you are currently working on — one in English, one in Italian
- One piece of prose
How to Apply
Please click the "Apply now" button and fill out the application form. To demonstrate your singing ability, you will be required to upload a video recording* of two pieces that are Grade 6 standard or above to our Dropbox (link in the application form). Applications will be reviewed by the lead course tutors and successful applicants will be sent a booking link to confirm their place.
*Please note that applications will not sent for tutors' consideration unless there is an accompanying video recording.
Participation Bursaries are available for this course. (Please note the application deadline for participation bursaries is 5 June 2023.)
- Spaces are limited so early booking is encouraged
- Bookings will close at 5pm on Sunday 9 July 2023 or when the course reaches full capacity
- Please note that accommodation in Sundial Court isn't available in 2023
- For everyone aged 16–21.
- Recommend level: Grade 6+
- Participants must have sufficient English language skills to cope with course demands.
About the Course Tutor
Marilyn has worked extensively in recital and oratorio, given many broadcasts for radio and television and toured Japan, USA and Europe. Roles have included Susanna, Queen of the Night, Zerbinetta, Poppea and much of the Bel Canto repertoire. A singer with the Bayreuther Festspiele for over ten years and with the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden. Marilyn's holistic approach provides firm technical grounding for young singers and continued refinement for established artists.
Theresa, mezzo-soprano, has appeared with major opera companies in the United Kingdom, including English National Opera, Scottish Opera and Opera Holland Park. Her roles include Dalila (Samson et Dalila), Ulrica (Un Ballo in Maschera), Amneris (Aida), and Flosshilde (Das Rheingold). Recent European performances include Azucena (Il Trovatore) in Schloss Dachau and a concert performance of the title role in Bizet’s Carmen at Saarbrucken, Germany. In 2001 Theresa sang the role of Carmen in a three-month tour of the United States of America with London City Opera and in 2003 made her concert debut in Indiapolis at the Bruckner Fest.